Saturday, August 16, 2008

Culinary Genius

That's right, folks...I'm a culinary genius!!

Okay, maybe that's a little exaggerated, but I have found myself to be pretty handy in the kitchen.

This morning, I was really wanting some pancakes. Normally, I'm a boxed mix pancake girl, but I didn't have any in the pantry. Being the resourceful little cook that I am, I set out to find a homemade pancake recipe. After a few minutes of searching, I found what seemed to be the perfect recipe. I hurried downstairs to get right to work. After whipping up the batter, I found it to be a little runny, but thought I would give it a try anyway. The recipe says to scoop out batter by 1/4 cups. That seems a little small to me (I like big pancakes), so I whipped out my 1/2 cup scoop and plopped a big, runny scoop of batter in to the pan. Well...it's a good thing I like big pancakes because that's what I got. It was HUGE. Oops! I quickly got out my 1/4 cup scoop after that. After my first pancake came out of the skillet, I decided I wanted thicker pancakes, so I added more flour to the batter. The subsequent pancakes turned out quite well. They were so tasty, too! This recipe is so good! There's hardly need for any syrup; just a little butter.

I was recently reading somewhere online (on all the cooking websites I frequent) about a peach cake. A family friend sent some peaches home with my stepdad the other day, so I had some lying around. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't peach pancakes be really yummy?" [Okay, this is where the genius part comes in.] So, I cut up a fresh, homegrown peach and dumped it in the remaining batter. MMMMM MMMMM GOOD! They were quite tasty. Since they were sweet on their own, there was definitely no need for syrup, which, in my mind, makes them healthy. ;-)

I had quite a bit of batter left over, so I made some extra pancakes and put them in the freezer for another day. That'll come in quite handy when I'm running late for work and there's no time to cook breakfast before I head out.

Next time, I think I'll try macerating some peach slices in some sugar and lemon juice, then drizzling it over top of the pancakes. That sounds delicious, doesn't it?

I bet you're all craving peach pancakes now, aren't you?

No comments: